The Benefits of Fiberglass Window Screens
You already know that window screens are great for keeping the biting and buzzing insects along with the dust and hot summer sun at bay during summer. But did you know that they can also help keep the warmth in during wintertime?
Don’t wait for spring to add screen mesh to your windows and doors. Now’s the time to get the job done. And if you’re not sure what material to use, fiberglass is a top modern choice. Fiberglass screen mesh is the most affordable, durable, and environmentally friendly option.
In this post, we look at how fiberglass window screens are made and what their benefits are.
How is a fiberglass window screen made?
Fiberglass is a common type of fiber-reinforced plastic using glass fibers. This popular material has been around for a long time. It is lightweight, strong, and not very brittle, which means it can be molded into many different, complicated shapes. Fiberglass can also be woven into a fabric, or it can be randomly arranged or flattened into a sheet. It is extremely versatile.
To create wire mesh for a window screen, the fiberglass is turned into a single screen wire. The single strand is then vinyl-coated and woven with vertical and horizontal strands to create your mesh screen. The amount of light and ventilation your screen gives you will depend on the mesh size and the diameter of each fiberglass strand.
Benefits of having fiberglass window screens
Before using fiberglass material for window screens, you’d often find them made of metal. Unfortunately, these were quite rigid, and if bent, they would damage easily.
Thanks to fiberglass, window screens are now a lot more durable. Given fiberglass’s flexible make-up, a dent or bump won’t bend or damage it. It is also the most affordable window screen mesh type available. Let’s look at its many other benefits:
Durable and Practical
- It can withstand severe temperatures without becoming weak or soft
- It won’t easily dent or crease because it’s flexible
- Its firmly woven mesh is most useful at keeping the insects away
- It won’t rot or decay, it isn’t susceptive to mildew and insect damage, and won’t erode due to weather
- It doesn’t need to be painted every year
- Certain fiberglass window screens can block out some UV rays, helping to keep your furniture, paint, and furnishings from sun damage
- It’s easy to install on your own
- It won’t unravel
- It insulates your home against heat and cold, making it energy efficient
- It has excellent longevity, which means less waste in landfills
- It is aesthetically pleasing compared to older versions of window screens
- It comes in more color options than other window screen material
- It won’t show scars and dents from debris and bumps
- You can choose a heavy-duty mesh that’s made with thicker fiberglass strands. This will increase its strength.
- You get the option of an extra-fine mesh size to keep out the smallest insects
Installing and maintaining fiberglass window screens around your home is a smart choice. If you do choose to go with fiberglass window screens, you’ll find they can last 10 to 15 years. Don’t waste any time. Protect your home from pesky insects and the hot sun with the top-choice of window screen material.
How we can help
At Hurst Glass and Screen, we provide installation, repair, and replacement for glass and screens. Our installation services are available locally for the DFW area. We are excited to be offering online products so people all over the country can benefit from our custom-made, high-quality products. We’re happy to give you a free quick estimate based on your measurements.
At Hurst Glass and Screen, we are a family-owned business, providing quality service to residential and commercial clients in Fort Worth, Dallas, and surrounding areas. Our services include commercial and residential glass installations, glass repairs, fogged window replacements, bug screens, solar screens, shower doors, shower enclosures, mirrors, and glass tabletops.
We are happy to answer any questions about our home window screen repair services and products. Give us a call or send us a message online.
We’re happy to give you a free quick estimate based on your measurements. Don’t know how to get the right measurements? We also provide free in-home estimates.
Ask us a question, send photos of your project, or get a quick quote.
For the fastest response, call anytime
during office hours.
We’re open 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM.
Monday through Friday.
Leave a Comment